Monday, November 26, 2007

1st day on the slopes

With opening day just around the corner here in Jackson (Dec. 1st), a friend and me decided to get in some early runs at Grand Targhee which is about 1 hour from Jackson. Jackson Hole has a deal with Targhee that lets employees of each mountain ski free at both mountains which worked out great for us. Originally we had planned to go on Thanksgiving but since the mountain opened the day before we decided to wait a few days and hear how the conditions were. As it turns out Targhee has the best conditions anywhere for the time being....as quoted in online.....
"Grand Targhee Resort currently offers 1,500 acres of skiable terrain, more than any other resort in the US Rockies which includes Utah, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming. Ranking second in skiable acreage is Grand Targhee’s neighbor to the North, Big Sky Resort, who opened with 854 acres and third place honors go to Copper Mountain in Colorado reporting 159 skiable acres in operation.
The snow wasn't amazing but for the time of the year and considering the lack of snow in Jackson and elsewhere it was pretty dang good....

Seeing as it was my first time on my new board and I hadn't even rode for over two years I was a little apprehensive about my first run...just my luck we ended up going down the blues from the very start (never touched a green)...I was surprised how quickly I picked it back up: I guess it is just like riding a bike....I was however still a little tense on the board which made me nervous to go too fast....I'll have to get over my new found fear of going fast quickly seeing as the terrain at jackson is much steeper and unforgiving....We are planning on going back to Targhee on Thursday then partaking in the opening weekend festivities at Jackson this weekend.....
BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!

Me and me new board sitting at the top of my first black diamond of the year (yeah, it took me awhile to get down it but but I didn't fall)....the Grand is the tallest peak you see behind me and is what I plan on climbing this summer.

Another view of the Grand Tetons (the Grand is the tallest one again)

Me at the observation deck at the top of the mountain....

On another note........Megan and Jenny went to Targhee the day after I did to teach Jenny to ski..I think she had a rough first day, but she's super athletic so she'll be flying down the blues and blacks in no time!

No comments: