Sunday, November 25, 2007

Hiking trip out my front door

I had Wednesday off and as it was a beautiful (yet freezing) day I decided to go on a little hike right out my front door. I hiked up Snowking mountain which should have been about a 40-45 minute hike but cause of the snow it took me a little bit longer. The view from the top was amazing and I could see Jackson Hole Ski Mountain clear across the other side of the butte. Once I got to the top of Snowking I was going to follow the ridge around to a canyon but after being on top for about 10 minutes the wind starting picking up and the temperature dropped big time....plus I was damp from sweating on the hike up (it was a pretty steep hike) which made me even colder.....not to mention I was very thirsty and my water bottle had frozen on the way up.....so I decided to call it a day and started heading back down the mountain. I am excited for next summer when I'll be able to hike all around the trails up behind my house but I think the window for good weather hiking is all but passed for the winter..

View from the top of Snowking...

View from the top of Snowking...you can see Jackson Hole Ski Mountain off in the distance behind the butte

View from the top along the ridgeline....Jackson is directly behind me in this picture

The snowy trail I hiked along....it wasn't bad going up, but was pretty slippery going down

Fun Thanksgiving pictures coming soon!! as well as pictures from my first day on the slopes...

No comments: