Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Snowmobile Hill Climb

This past weekend was one of the biggest weekends in Jackson during the winter. Just two blocks down from our house Snow King held the World Championship Snowmobile Hill Climb which is a 4 day competition where people race their snowmobiles up Snow King. This didn't sound too hard to me when I first heard about it but once you see how steep Snow King is you'd understand why it is supposedly such a big deal. People kept trying to tell me that I was going to be amazed at all the rednecks that would roll into town for the weekend....that is until I reminded them where I was from and then I'd hear "oh, well then you'll fell right at home".... and they were right, it did remind me of being back in the south and made me miss home....everywhere you looked this weekend there were big trucks and rednecks. Quite a change when I have gone all winter without seeing any rednecks or mullets....oh, yeah I forgot they aren't called rednecks here...they are called "Slednecks". If you have time I highly recommend you check out the video HERE....it is a video from last years hill climb and has some amazing crashes in it. Keep in mind these sleds they are crashing cost around 10 grand a piece.

View of Snow King from our favorite bar, 43 North. This is where we watched a good portion of the event because we could sit on the roof of the bar.

Megan, Jenny, Rachael and I standing outside our "2nd Home".

What redneck weekend would be complete without a snow sculpture.
Rachael, Jenny, Megan and I at the base of Snow King
One good thing about winter here is that you don't have to carry a cooler around with you at events......You just put your drink in whatever snowbank you happen to be standing by. This happens to be on Megan's back porch while we were watching the X-Gamer snowmobilers doing tricks......and yes that is Megan's christmas tree in the background.
This is a video I filmed from Megan's back porch. Many of the guys who participated in the X-Games came to Jackson this weekend as well to do some shows at the fairgrounds which just happen to be in our back yards. Megan's porch had the better view though so we watched from there. Be sure and watch the video all the way through (it's not long) so you can see the backflips......these guys are crazy!!!

No comments: