Monday, May 12, 2008

Nauseating Rent Prices.....

When I first moved out here I about choked at how much money I was going to have to pay for rent ($1700 for a three bedroom). Everybody I met out here kept telling me how cheap that was and that I was so lucky and shouldn't complain. Still I had a hard time coughing up that much money every month in a town as small as Jackson. Now if I was living in Atlanta or a big city $1700 for a 3 bedroom doesn't sound that unreasonable but for a town of 8,000 people it seemed outragous. However, lately I have been reading the classifieds in the local paper and am in even more shock at the rent prices I see listed there. I have yet to see a listing that was less then $1000 a bedroom. Not only is the average rental price in Jackson $1000 a bedroom but available units go extremely fast and it is very hard to find housing here. Many of my friends who currently pay less then $1000 per bedroom have commented that their landlords have recently told them that their rent will be going up to $1000 per room when their lease is up. So I guess currently we are paying approx $1300 less a month then what we should be.......I'm crossing my fingers my landlord is not paying attention to the rental prices in jackson because if he is we are screwed when it comes time to renew our lease.

No comments: