Friday, October 19, 2007

Georgia to Texas to Colorado....

As hard as it was leaving Athens I am very excited to finally be getting to Jackson. Right now I am in Buena Vista, CO for the day and will be making the final trek to Jackson tomorrow morning. Our journey started out early early Monday morning when we left Atlanta and drove straight through to Dallas, TX. The drive to Dallas was fairly easy except for the irate truck driver who kept harassing us and purposely went off the side of the rode to drive through a large gravel pile which then threw up rocks onto my car and cracked my windshield in two places and then had the nerve to flick me off. Sometimes I just don't understand people. Besides our incident with the truck driver we made it safely to Dallas, TX after a brief stop in Van, TX for some ice cream with my uncle and one of my cousins. I think the theme of our trip through Texas is FOOD FOOD FOOD....We ate so much wonderful food that I think I gained 5 pounds.
Before we left my parents house in Marietta, GA at 6am
The next morning Christi-An and I got up really early and tried to go for a bike ride around Dallas. This didn't work too well as the morning traffic was horrific on the side roads and the bike trails we found were really short and muddy....ended up spending 15 minutes cleaning the mud off our bikes and shoes when we got back to the house....regardless of the conditions it was still very nice to do something active after sitting in the car for 12 hours the day before and before getting back into the car for another 6 hours.
After our ride we loaded up the car again and started to head north to Amarillo, TX, our second stop of the trip. Halfway to Amarillo we hit the 1/2 way mark at a whopping 1,050 mile trip. In Amarillo we stayed with my grandparents who had a huge homemade meal ready for us when we arrived. One of my cousins drove up from Texas Tech and my aunt Tomi and uncle Ross come over for dinner as well. The next morning we again set out on our bikes thinking we would have a better ride since we had an actual destination.....the Cadillac Ranch. The Cadillac Ranch sits right off of I-40 and consists of ten graffiti-covered cars that are half-buried, nose-down, facing west "at the same angle as the Cheops' pyramids. I used to ride to the Cadillac Ranch when I was little so this was kind of a trip down memory lane for me. Although the ranch is only 9 miles from my grandparents house it still took us close to an hour to ride to them thanks to the 20-30 mph head winds we had to battle the whole way. Thankfully on the way home we had the wind at our back and made it home in less then 20 minutes. After eating my grandparents out of house and home we packed up the car again on Thursday and continued our trek north through the rest of Texas, parts of New Mexico, and half-way through Colorado to Buena Vista where we are now. Buena Vista has provided me with my first taste of winter weather this year with temperatures last night hovering around 34 and wind gusts at 20-30mph. Needless to say I was freezing which is not a good sign considering where I am moving. I'm starting to think if I brought adequate clothing for the winter in Jackson which is funny considered the quantity of clothing I bought. Anybody know where I can get some fleece lined, insulated jeans? We were planning on going for a bike ride or hike today but I know the bike ride will not happen considering the wind (we would easily get blown off it's that strong) and I'm thinking twice about going for a hike in this weather.....a nice book and a warm coffee shop is sounding pretty nice to me right about now......tomorrow morning we pack up and are heading the scenic route to Jackson. I'm not sure when I'll have free internet access again but I will post more when I do.



My grandparent and me before leaving Amarillo....
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: