Friday, August 7, 2009

summer updates!!!

Sadly, Carlee had to leave us and moved back to Salt Lake City for a job, family, boyfriend, dog, etc.....but we did have one last great adventure with her on the Snake River the weekend she left. Nothing like season high water, freezing cold water, hail, pouring rain, lightening and thunder to make for an unbelievable white water rafting trip. Despite the conditions it was by far the best river trip I have ever been on and one I'm not going to forget anytime soon.

Carlee, Jenny & I ...... last roommate picture
Couple photos from Arches National Park. Went down to Moab with Carlee and her family for Easter and did a 10 mile hike through Devils Gardens on Easter Sunday...Kinda ironic.
Devils Garden - Arches National Park - Moab, Utah
Me at Delicate Arch in Arches National Park

This summer started off with Megan and Jennifer "moving" back to Jackson for the summer. Was hands down probably the best month I have spent in Jackson over the past two years. The day before Megan flew home we did one last hike up Taylor Mountain. It was a little steep but we were treated with amazing 360 degree views from the top.

video from top of Taylor Mountain



Megan and I on top of Taylor Mountain
View of the Grand from Taylor Mountain. It was a little hazy so the photo doesn't really do the view justice.

Last weekend I did my first big solo hike and climbing Hanging Canyon to the Lake of the Crags. I'd heard that it was really steep but I had no idea just how steep this hike was. Let's just say that it was 5 miles round trip but it took my longer to hike these 5 miles then it typically takes me to hike 10 miles. It was probably one of the top 3 hardest hikes I've done here but it was well worth it once I made it to the lakes. Absolutely beautiful and I was completely alone which was kinda cool. Never been like that in the wilderness before.....not going to lie I was carrying my bear spray in my actual hand instead of my pack cause I was kinda scared.

Looking down out of Hanging Canyon....Jenny Lake in the distance
Ramshead Lake...Lake of the Crags is just over the rock scree

Our first backpacking trip this year was a mellow 12 miles to Green Mountain Lakes. I don't think I will ever get over the reflections of mountains onto the still alpine lakes.

Green Mountain Lakes - I think this is the lower lake
On my way up Green Mountain Lakes for the night - nothing like hiking in snow in the middle of July in shorts and a tank top

Me, Brendan, Trey, Paul, & Megan on our way to Green Mountain Lakes
Trying to hoist the bear bag up in the air so the bears don't get our food.....

Meredith, Jennifer, Megan, and me at Goodwin Lake. Just an easy 6 mile day hike....was hoping to swim when we got there but it was a little chilly.

One of the absolutely best things about the past month is that Michelle Reising and Ashley Hartsook got to come out and visit. The three of us have only been together 3 or 4 times since high school so it was amazing to get to catch up in a place like Jackson. Even though they were only here for 2 days we still had a blast and crammed a weeks worth of activities into those two days and nights.

Michelle, Ashley, and I in Garnet Canyon on our way up to the Meadows....I was super impressed that these two knocked out 10 miles at high elevation on their first day with no problem

Ashley, Michelle, and I on our way up to Garnett canyon....
Michelle, me, & Ashley at the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band concert at the Teton County Fair
Michelle and I rock jumping at Phelps Lake in Grand Teton National Park
I know this isn't the best picture but it sums up the whole weekend perfectly...and Michelle loves this photo
Ashley, me, Jennifer, Michelle, Jenny, and Megan at happy hour before heading to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Concert
Michelle, Ashley and I at the signature Jackson Arches


Amy, Me, Jenny, Megan, and Jen before competing in the 4th of July 10K run....I love that Megan and I hadn't ran in months and ran the entire 10k in 70 minutes and were still 3rd to last out of over 200 people....people here are crazy fit!
Did I mention that I've been learning to rock climb???? Here's a photo from Rodeo Wall which is where I had my first outdoor rock climbing experience. I joined the climbing gym here but climbing outside is so much more fun then the gym....now if only I could get some upper body strenghth so I could actually make it to the top!


Melissa, Jennifer, Megan, me, and mallory out on Jackson Lake.

No comments: